Colorado School of Mines Student Mine
The Colorado School of Mines Mine Rescue Team (CSM MRT)
was founded in 2009 as one of the first collegiate mine
rescue teams in the world. The following year the program
expanded to form two teams, including the first ever
all-women's mine rescue team. There are currently three
The teams travel to compete in MSHA Metal/Nonmetal Mine
Rescue Contests all over the country, including previous
appearances in Wilmington, IL., Rolla, MO., and
Winnemucca, NV. The teams host an Intercollegiate Mine
Emergency Response Development (MERD) exercise every
other year at the university's Edgar Experimental Mine
in Idaho Springs, CO., bringing college teams from all
across North America together to train in mine rescue.
- Congratulations to CSM Silver Team Map Specialist, Christine Geier, and Silver Team Medic, Erin Keogh, for getting their paper titled, "Mine rescue training using computer simulations at Colorado School of Mines" published in SME's Mining Magazine February 2014 issue!
- Congratulations to CSM Silver Team Captain Nicole Henderson for getting her paper titled, "Student mine rescue in today's mining engineering curriculum" published in SME's Mining Magazine February 2014 issue!
- A big thank you to Albert Archuleta and the
crew at the Henderson Mine in Empire, CO for
welcoming the CSM Mine Rescue Teams to their site for
a tour in January 2014!
- Congratulations to the CSM White Team for bringing
home 1st place in the Field Competition, 1st
place in the First Aid Competition, 3rd
place in the Technician Competition, and 1st
place overall at the 2013 Wilmington Mine Rescue
- Congratulations to the CSM Blue Team for bringing
home 3rd place in the Field Competition at the
2013 Nevada Mine Rescue Contest! Blue & Silver
Teams represented well at Winnemucca once again.
- Thanks to everyone who helped make the 2nd Biennial Intercollegiate MERD a success! Check out pictures from the event!
- Special thanks to Dave Sommerfeld with Dräger!
- Thank you to the CSM Mine Safety &
Health Program for its continued support of
the CSM Mine Rescue Teams!
To contact the
CSM Mine Rescue Teams in case of an emergency,
please call Colorado School of Mines Public Safety @ 303-273-3333